For those of you applying for the January 5th Fellowship Consideration deadline, you’re almost at the finish line! If you’re anxious about submitting, you may instead see the finish line coming at you. I’m here with a few final pieces of advice to help you along:
- If you cannot submit your application by the January 5th deadline, there is also a February 5th deadline for the MIA, MPA and MPA-DP applications. Just know that January 5th includes consideration for SIPA fellowships, while February 5th is just consideration for admission to SIPA.
- Don’t forget to make sure your letters of recommendation are submitted! You can submit your application before your letters are in, but we cannot review your application for admission if those recommendation letters are missing. Remember that we require two letters, and a third optional letter is allowed.
- I love this student breakdown of the Video Essay, showing how four people prepared in different (but not wrong!) ways for the final part of the application. Here is a breakdown of the video essay from the Admissions perspective. Remember that the video essay is available after you submit your application and pay the application fee. I encourage you to not wait until the last minute for this, just in case you run into any technical issues.
- Many of you have told us about being torn between policy and law school. Many SIPA students have been where you are. Read about how they thought about this big decision here.
- Noticing that some of our SIPA students were absolutely going to Washington, D.C., after graduate school, I asked them – Why choose SIPA in New York if you want a career in D.C.? They had a lot of reasons.
- I will never stop reminding people to make sure you wrote the correct school name in your essays, and double-check if you wrote “Colombia” or “Columbia”!
Finally, I’m going to throw it all the way back to September 2019 with advice on managing stress during the application process.
You are capable. You are smart. You got this. We look forward to reading your applications.